Finding the right New Jersey divorce attorney for your particular case is the most important step in securing your future. By considering our recommendations below and trusting your own instincts, you will find legal representation to successfully lead you through the divorce process.
Start by developing a list potential NJ divorce attorneys. Ask trusted trusted friends, family members, and colleagues for referrals. They may know someone through personal experience or through other contacts. Make sure your list includes attorneys who only specialize in NJ Divorce and Family Law. Investigate each attorney by visiting their website and read it carefully. Do they provide helpful information for clients? Do they communicate a message that they are knowledgeable, experienced and will protect your interests with compassion and legal expertise?
For your top choices, call and schedule initial consultations. This should be free of charge and address particulars related to your divorce include the process, alimony, child custody and support, and finances. Note if the phone is answered quickly, if you are kept waiting, and if someone is available right away to help you schedule your appointment. A professional attorney will make sure his staff is available to you and does not keep you waiting.
Before your visit you should prepare a list of questions to ask. Some examples would include:
- How often will we have contact?
- How do I reach you in an emergency?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my case?
- What are the costs?
- Will others in your office work on my case? What if you are not available?
- How will you protect my future and my best interests?
- How will you help me shield my children from the process of divorce?
- How long have you been a divorce/family attorney? How many cases like mine have you handed?
While visiting, take careful note of the following:
- Time is money – and when it comes to your divorce, the time your lawyer spends is your money. Does the office look efficient to you?
- Your divorce attorney should make your comfort a priority. The right divorce lawyer will be able to explain the legal divorce process in terms you can understand and the ability to answer all of your divorce questions.
- Is the office well-staffed? Your attorney should have team of lawyers and legal assistants trained to guide you through the divorce process and fight for your best interests
- Your attorney should present a clear plan which includes all steps of divorce, information you need to gather, and a fee schedule.
- Did the attorney raise other issues you had not thought of yet that could have significant ramifications for the short-term and long-term success of you NJ Divorce
- Go with an attorney who addresses your fears and concerns; exudes confidence and feels like a good fit for you
There are a few red flags which should cause you to pause and reconsider hiring an attorney. The attorney should give you his/her full attention. If they are taking calls, checking their phone, or your meeting is interrupted by staff, you aren’t a priority and you will not be in the future. A good attorney will be able to talk with you about the law, but in terms you understand. Any fancy legal language should be fully explained. The attorney should not bad mouth others you may be interviewing. Doing so is unprofessional and you want to hire professional. Attorneys should not make any guarantees about your case. They can talk about possible outcomes, but cannot predict the future. And during your initial meeting the attorney cannot dispense legal advice, they can only provide you with legal support once you have hired him/her. Only a licensed NJ attorney can discuss fees with you. If a paralegal, office manager or bookkeeper attempts to negotiate, you are not dealing with an ethical operation.
Hiring the wrong divorce attorney can hurt you both personally and financially years into the future. Take the time to investigate your options and find the right fit for your circumstances.
After considering these points, you will have enough information to make an informed and educated decision. Rely on your instincts to guide you to an attorney you feel you can work with over the course of your divorce process. Choose an attorney who can aggressively represent you but also shows compassion to your specific situation and has expertise and experience in the areas of the law particular to your case.
Here at the Law Offices of Edward R. Weinstein, our team of New Jersey divorce lawyers looks forward to using our legal expertise to guide you through the divorce process and protecting your future. Please contact us immediately for your free consultation at (732) 246-0909.