In today's society, families take on all shapes and sizes. While there is much disparity in how certain family relationships are viewed under the laws of our country, there are a myriad of ways they can still be protected. At the Law Offices of Edward R. Weinstein, we strive to perfect our legal services to help the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community in issues like securing parental rights and adoption so they can enjoy the same benefits that heterosexual couples enjoy.
While thirty-one states still have a ban on same-sex marriage, New Jersey is one of the nineteen states that legally recognizes it. On October 22, 2013, Governor Chris Christie left behind his long and grueling battle again gay marriage by not appealing a judge’s ruling that allowed same-sex couples to wed in the state. This was a huge milestone in the gay and lesbian community and changed the way same-sex couples were viewed in New Jersey.
At the Law Offices of Edward R. Weinstein we respect and appreciate all families and look to legally help our clients protect their legal rights regardless of the lifestyle they choose to live. We stay current on the law and will keep you up-to-date on court decisions and actions that may affect your circumstances and case. From name change documents to agreements about your living arrangements, our expert staff can help you and your partner put all the legal protections in place. In the event that you need to file for a divorce from your partner, we can help you through that troubled time as well by protecting your children and assets and caring for your emotional health just as we would for any other client. Our firm can work with you and your partner on may legal maneuvers:
For your relationship:
- Gay/lesbian marriage
- Cohabitation agreements
- Agreements about joint assets
- Palimony agreements
When it comes to your children:
- Custody and child support agreements
- Establishing an equal legal relationship for both parents through non-biological parent and second parent adoptions
- Reproduction and donor agreements
- Protect your children and rights of both parents in the event of a divorce or death.
Just like any heterosexual married couple, same-sex couples may have to deal with issues of domestic violence. If you and/or your children are being abused, please immediately seek safety and then call our office so we can have the law protect you. If you have been accused of domestic violence, we can stand by your side through the process to be protecting your rights.
- What is the law of Divorce and Domestic Partnerships in New Jersey?
- Gay Marriage in New Jersey is Legal
- Is There a Constitutional Right To Marry?
- In New Jersey, Do Same-Sex Couples Have The Fundamental Right To Marry?
- Do Same-Sex Couples Have The Right To Get Divorced In A State That Does Not Legally Recognize Their Marriage?
- New Jersey Same Sex (or Gay) Couples May Legally Divorce Based Upon Irreconcilable Differences
- Legalizing Gay Marriage In New Jersey; A Landmark In Civil Rights
- In a New Jersey Child Custody Case, May My Gay Partner Be Deemed As The Psychological Parent Of My Child?
- May Dissolution Of A Domestic Partnership Be Handled In Mediation and/or Arbitration?
- Monmouth County Same Sex Divorce Lawyer
- East Brunswick Same Sex Divorce Lawyer