Woodbridge Child Support Lawyer

The law states that every parent is responsible for providing the basic needs for food, housing, clothing, education, and medical care for their child, even in families where the parent does not live with the child.

In these situations, the law further states that the noncustodial parent is responsible for paying child support to the custodial parent to assist in meeting their child’s needs. If you are a custodial or noncustodial parent, you may need the assistance of a Woodbridge child support lawyer. An established family attorney could help you file and obtain a child support order issued by the family court.

Understanding Child Support Laws

In Woodbridge, a noncustodial parent may be obligated to pay court-ordered support until the child reaches the age of 19. There are situations where the law allows child support to be extended by that age such as if the child is a full-time student in college or another higher education institute, or if the child is diagnosed with a permanent disability. In the above situations, the court may be able to extend child support obligations until the child reaches 23 years of age or even longer if the court feels it is appropriate.

There are different methods that states use to determine child support. In New Jersey, the courts use an income shares method. This method is based on the idea that children should receive the same proportion of their parents’ income they would have received if the parents were living together. In the majority of two-parent households, parents combine their incomes to benefit the entire household.

How Child Support Payments are Determined

The income shares method is based on the combination of the custodial and the noncustodial parents’ incomes, along with several predetermined factors, including:

  • The needs of the child
  • The standard of living of each parent
  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The health and age of the child and each of the parents
Collecting Payments in Woodbridge

As a Woodbridge child support lawyer knows, once the court issues a child support order, the noncustodial parent is obligated to pay the custodial parent the amount set forth by the court. The court may order that payments be made directly or the judge may order that the New Jersey Child Support Agency oversee collection and payment by having the funds deducted from the noncustodial parent’s wages.

Risk of Failure to Pay Support for Children

Unfortunately, even with the Child Support Agency’s involvement, noncustodial parents may fail to pay their child support obligation and more aggressive collection methods become necessary. Some of the more common methods the state can use are:

  • Reporting the parent to credit bureaus
  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • Intercepting lottery winnings
  • Seizing assets, including bank accounts
  • Denying passports
  • Suspending of driver’s, occupational, professional, or recreational licenses issued by the state

In extreme cases, when other methods have not worked, a warrant can be issued for the non-paying parent’s arrest and they may be incarcerated. If this happens, the parent may not be released from jail until they pay at least half of the arrears they owe.

Speaking with a  Woodbridge Child Support Attorney

If you are having issues with child support, contact a Woodbridge child support lawyer. They can assist in obtaining a child support order, as well as filing for modifications or helping with collection issues you may be dealing with. Call an attorney who can help you understand your best options moving forward. Child support is often a contentious issue and you should not try to negotiate these agreements alone.